Tuesday, November 4, 2014

AN AFRICAN-SUNRISE MOMENT

I woke up this morning a kushite.

It was just like any other Tuesday, just like any other day of the week. Got my ass out of bed after 30 minutes of a music mix and went to take a piss. As you can imagine, I had to struggle with the morning wood, of course. Nothing as stubborn as a hard d**k on a cold chilly morning.

Before I walked back to the warm embrace of my Maasai shuka, this sunrise caught my eyes. A sunrise is never a big deal for most people but anyone that knows me well knows that I'm crazily in love with African sunrises & sunsets. There's something beautiful about a sunrise. Then there's something of magnificence about African sunrises. This was one of those magnificent sunrises. Those sunrises that just warm you through to your heart. Those sunrises that sooth your soul.

This particular sunrise is what made me smile. For a few minutes I felt how life can be good. For a few minutes I felt some peace, some love in our motherland. For a moment I forgot my worries, as an individual and as one of mother Africa's children.

I forgot about this money money problems that we all have. I forgot about the stress of seeking employment. (For your information, it is hard to be employed when every employer knows you're yet to graduate. Well, at least it is that hard in the corporate 8am-5pm workforce.)

I forgot about the killings up north in Kenya. RIP to all souls we've lost there. RIP to all the security personnel whose lives were taken last week. It was sad. I forgot about the Ebola issue that has been a menace for a while now. RIP to all those brothers, sisters and relatives that we've lost. RIP to Africa's children.

****************************

The place was now getting brighter, the sun was now past the horizon's clouds. It's the voices of the women who were nearby cutting grass for their cattle that brought me back from my thoughts, back to reality.

I was back from that sunrise moment. Back from one of those sunrise moments that give you hope of a better day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment