Thursday, April 24, 2014

4th, 5th & 6th Paragraphs

I decide to leave. It's now getting cold and dark and I should be near the town centre. There is more life and civilization there. I walk back and within 10 minutes, I'm seated at the #Iten Stadium. It's not as fancy as the ones we see on English Premier League but it's fancy in it's own way. There are cows grazing on small patches of rich green grass, fellas are playing volleyball on one side of the stadium and ladies are playing on the intelligently marked out football field. Yes. Ladies are playing soccer. I am marvelled by this rare sight and decide to concentrate on the match that is now at what seems to be the 88th minute of a full game, 90 minutes.

There is serious action at the left side of the field. I can't identify who are the strikers and who are the defenders. I don't know who is playing against who. This isn't like when men play. One team might take off their shirts for team member identification when the game is on. This isn't the case. I'm confused here. I don't know which team to support. Despite this, I'm happy to see children cheering. They must be the children of the players. The players must be their mothers. Everything is heated and while some children are cheering at the edge of the field, others have joined in the match. They're helping their mothers score and this tells me that the match is at it's last minute.

Suddenly, everyone stops. It's 90 minutes. The match is over. Without much celebration, the players stop the bee activity in the field and start leaving the field towards their children. They had come for a refreshing match but it's now over. It's time to leave and go resume their house duties at home. It's time to start thinking of what to cook for their husbands and children. A number of them leave with the children while the rest head to the market that is 2 minutes away from #Iten Stadium. This is where most farmers' products end. It is where they buy & sell vegetables, maiza, beans, bananas, peas, potatoes, tomatoes and many other farm products. It's where they'll get most ingredients for their day's last meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment